.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

mckib•in•nihon

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

I ate that?

OK, first off, I'd just like to apologize for the prolonged "radio silence" as of late, but things have been a bit hectic here. We're FINALLY starting to actually move in.. we now have a bed to sleep in. We'd been going the traditional route... futon's on the floor, cold as hell. Also, we can now start unpacking the boxes we've been living out of for the past 3 months. I'll be posting more about the new digs soon. Also, our friend Sachi, who's back in Japan now, came for a visit. Much eating and drinking ensued. Again more on that later.

Right now I just want to post a little something about this:

shako

The item above is called shako, it's seafood. We recently found a great kaitenzushi place to eat at called Tokube. If you don't know, kaitenzushi is the kind of place where the sushi runs around on a little conveyor belt along a counter where the patrons can just pick off what they'd like. You can also shout out your request for whatever's on the menu but not yet on the belt. These places are usually a lot of fun, very casual. And we like Tokube... we usually roll in around 2:30, 3 between lunch and dinner and have the place to ourselves.

Now, I really like sushi and have no qualms about eating raw things (you may want to read my entry on deer sashimi to get an idea of how my tastes run). Hell, my favorite monster is the zombie. I'm really not that squeamish. And with the shako, I was curious, so we ordered it, I ate it.... a little tasteless and watery, but not wretched.

Now, we all like to joke about (well I do at any rate) how shrimp are like the cockroach of the sea (actually, lobster are more of the bottom dwelling offal eating type) but you know, they're just so damn tasty. Well, the exact origin of my plate of shako had me a bit curious, so I turned to the font of all received wisdom, Google, and found this tasty little image:



Shako are the bugs on the left....

I put those damn things in my mouth. And swallowed.

Sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing indeed.